Gary Bannister <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:32:55 -0500
I would like to know how Listserv normally handles a posting to a domain
that appears to no longer exist (i.e., the MX records for the domain can
not be determined). With my current setup (1.8d under BSD/OS 4.2), when a
posting is sent it is broken into envelopes of 100 addresses.  If one of
the addresses contains a domain for which the MX records can not be
located, the message "Can not check MX records for recipient host <DOMAIN>"
appears in the logfile and the posting will sit in the spool directory
until the domain becomes reachable.  This results in the posting not being
delivered (or at least delayed) to 100 subscribers each time this occurs. I
often have to take manual action to clear this up (by deleting the RCPT
line that contains the non-existent domain).  This happens frequently as
many of my lists have subscribers from developing countries. I can't
imagine this is the normal way Listserv should function.

Gary Bannister
NetAccess Systems Inc.