Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Fri, 21 Nov 1986 00:26 SET
  Version  1.5e is  on  its way.  There were  three  problems with  DISTRIBUTE:

1) Storage  fragmentation at  a  lot of  servers. DMSFREE  could  not find  40k
   for Richard's *tiny*  file... *sigh* I think  there is REALLY a  BUG in CMS4
   because that never happened with the CMS3 servers.

   Please make sure that:

     - Your server has at least 2M of storage
     - Its IPL statement is  IPL CMSL not IPL CMS. Sorry  for not mentioning it
       before but  for reasons  that were  never explained to  me we  happen to
       have a CMS at address X'5A0000' and I forget it's in the 2nd meg normal-
       ly...

2) Bug when the DIST command is exactly  80 chars long (the AEAR, problem). The
   code then attempted to send the  line as a single card without continuation,
   which was  correct, but then entered  the continuation line loop,  which was
   NOT correct.

3) A  fight between  the CANADA01  and UOGUELPH  servers which  seen not  to be
   running  the same  version  of BITEARN  NODES/LINKSUM.  CANADA01 thinks  the
   recipients  are nearer  to  UOGUELPH  and sends  them  out  there, but  then
   UOGUELPH  screams in  mad terror  that  no, not  at all,  they're nearer  to
   CANADA01 and stops  the loop that might  have occured if I  had not included
   a few  tests in the  code :-) A  few experiments seemed  to show that  it is
   more probable that the culprit be UOGUELPH,  but I have no certitude at all.
   Kent,  Paulie, please  check that  out.  I'll send  you a  CANADA DATA  file
   containing the list of recipients that caused the problem. Thanks.

A couple  other bugs  were fixed,  and the general  user file-server  memos are
ready (info file and info afd).

Good night...
              Eric

PS: won't be there until saturday I think