"Peter M. Weiss" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 Aug 1994 15:16:08 EDT
It is my understanding that this file is updated after the
Bitnet Nodes table (NETINIT) has been distributed.  The
Nodes table receives it updates from Bitnet Network ADminis-
trators (NAD) who (bother to) send coded messages to UPDATE@BITNIC
which would contain (in part)

:INTERNET.hostname

hostname may be repeated (multiple aliases).  Of course Bitnic
has no way of knowing if what it receives from the NAD is true.
Also, the hostname should (must?) not duplicate some other Bitnet
node's alias.

This :INTERNET (tag) influences MAILERs and LISTSERVs, as well
as the NAD's ability to (easily) affect his/her users' LISTSERV
subscriptions.

If I am not mistaken, there used to be a monthly message sent
to nodmgt-l about inconsistencies in the :INTERNET tag values.

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask] "Are you a cybersurfer or cybersufferer?" 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA