Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Fri, 4 Mar 88 16:24:00 SET
I went to FRULM11 this morning and  talked with the manager about this hacker.
He told  me he'd take steps  to ensure that the  problem is put to  an end. He
also told  me he doesn't  believe that this  guy would use  passwords gathered
from LISTSERV to  destroy files on other  nodes, and I am  enclined to believe
it. I know this guy and he'd do almost anything to pester me, but he's not the
kind of person  who enjoys destroying data, etc. It  turned out that LISTSERV,
ERIC and OLIVIER and  been forced by an operator who needed  to vary offline a
3375 volume and apparently forgot to re-AUTOLOG them afterwards.

I have nonetheless  patched the netinstpw in FRULM11's copy,  just to be sure:
there are  (a lot of)  other hackers at  FRULM11, which would  most definitely
enjoy eradicating files from all the CPUs in the universe, but they don't have
enough knowledge (yet) to  cause any problem. One of the  reasons why the said
hacker is tolerated is that HE spies  upon these weaker hackers and makes sure
that they don't reach his level of knowledge :-)

  Eric