Jim Cocks <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Aug 1994 10:24:50 EDT
On Wed, 10 Aug 1994 15:30:00 PDT May Ng {510} 642-5025 said:

>Specifically, I'm looking for the filelist setup procedure, and how to
>override the default welcome message with a  customized one.

The filelist setup procedure is very well documented in Ben Chi's guide
_ Setting up the LISTSERV File Server_  _A Beginner's Guide_  If you are
going to be setting up filelists you will need this document.  To
obtain it send the command GET FSV GUIDE to LISTSERV@ALBNYVM1  .

To change the default welcome message you can do two things.  Either
create a special MAILFORM file for your list or create a WELCOME file
for your list.  For the latter create a file called  listname WELCOME
where listname is the name of your list.  The first line of the file
contains a subject line.  Ex.

Subject: Welcome to listname!

Then fill in the information you wish to be communicated.  Put the
file out on your   listname FILELIST.  From then on it will be
automatically sent out to each new subscriber.

If you wish to change the system welcome message then retrieve the
default MAILFORM message ($DEFAULT MAILFORM) and from it create
a file called  listname MAILFORM where listname is the name of the
list.  In the MAILFORM file go down to  :$SIGNUP Standard blurb to
new subscribers    section and make your changes.  Put the file
out with the command:

lsvput listname MAILFORM (PUTC

I've opted for the welcome file over modifying MAILFORM messages,
but that may be personal preference.

Cheers,
  --Jim Cocks  Univ. of Louisville  <[log in to unmask]>