Nick Gimbrone <NJG@CORNELLA>
Wed, 26 Nov 86 18:19:13 EST
>Actually, we could probably TRASH about three quarters of the formats
>and let RSCS do the compression between systems.  Everybody and every-
>thing can speak PUNCH format, why fix it if it ain't broke?
Ah... because it IS broken?
PUNCH is fine for LRECL 80 or less, but real data is seldom of this
format. I agree, no more new ones. But the existing ones do serve
a purpose (well, at least CARD and NETDATA, I'm not so sure about DISK,
but I understand that the heavy use of DISK format in the :fformat
tag IS being corrected by BitNic).