"Russell, D (Duncan)" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 08:52:29 -0000
Okay, thanks to everyone who replied. I agree that some AOL messages are
getting through okay, but the only ones which are failing are AOL, which is
why I suspected them in the first place.

The colon idea looks like a good lead, I shall investigate my templates and
see if there is anything in them with this stray colon.

Thanks again
Duncan

-----Original Message-----
From: Francoise Becker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 10 November 2000 00:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: AOL - again

On 9 Nov 00, at 16:45, Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Then you obviously don't know how to do it wrong ;-)  I have truckloads of
> AOL'ers on SJU's system who get along just fine.  What I see is a daily
> trickle of blown "subscribe" commands that got to Listserv OK, but the
> internal RFC822 "To:" is [log in to unmask]: with the trailing
> colon.  One of my owners explained this as them using some utility that
> built the subscribe request for them based on some message they extracted
> from Listserv.  But I forget the details.

Just a conjecture, but I bet that somewhere there are instructions
that say something along the lines of:

To subscribe to this list, send the following message to
SUBSCRIBE listname your name

Perhaps AOL's mail software is picking up the ":" when they double-
click on the address or perhaps people are cutting and pasting the
address and picking up the colon when they do so.

Francoise