Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:09:09 PDT
On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:34:59 -0400, Jean Snow <[log in to unmask]>

> One of our listowners sent a bunch of add commands in the format:
>         add listname Firstname Lastname userid@node
> and has of course been slapped on the wrist and referred to
> docs for correct syntax.
>
> The odd thing is that listserv accepted these ...

Even more odd is that the LISTSERV-generated daily-reports
have recently been addressed:

   To: To Distribution List <[log in to unmask]>

Sending a 'REGISTER Melvin Klassen' corrected the problem,
but finding the cause of the problem wasn't as easy, but I did, of course.

Apparently, some novice list-owner issued:

     QUIET ADD listname [log in to unmask] To Distribution List

for each(!) subscriber on the list.

LISTSERV's "registry" got updated, and the daily-messages
use that information when composing those messages.