Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 16:40:11 CDT
On Mon, 14 Aug 1995 22:58:52 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>Well, but  the license you're paying  for only costs $550/year,  and that
>figure includes  both license  and maintenance.  Even if  it were  a pure
>maintenance cost,  how much qualified manpower  can you buy with  $550 in
>the DC area?  :-) Or, if you prefer a  more corporate-oriented angle, how
>much would it  cost you to do  without the $550 unix  license and deliver
>all your mail on VM? :-)
>
>  Eric

I guess it depends on which side of the coin you're looking at.  It's
almost certain that we will be ditching VM entirely.  And considering
that we're currently spending $2500 on VM's Listserv, another license
for Lmail, and yet another on Unix's Listserv, the budget axers tend
to get whack happy.  We very nearly lost ALL Lsoft products for this
year because the unix bigots tend to love the freebe products (never
mind performance).  $550 isn't a 'only costs' here anymore.  It gets
compared to other software that's free (fair or not).

Besides, you could always move the company out of DC where the cost
of living is something non-lunar?  ;-)

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-9520 (work)
http://tamvm1.tamu.edu/~cbarnes/

   "I am in the greater danger before God when I know clearly what
    He wants me to do, but willfully & defiantly refuse to obey."
                     - Dr. James Dobson   (ref: James 4:17)