Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:15:48 -0500
I wish I had found out about the tcpgui/lcmdx interface long ago. I should
have read the site manager's guide!

I've now hacked together several useful Perl scripts based on this. One
does what it appears lcmd does- sends an arbitrary command to listserv.
Yes, you can do this via the web, but I find it's cleaner/easier for me
this way that via the command button.

I've written another script that takes our standard list request form,
parses it into a header, passes it to listserv, then notifies the owners
the list is created.  I wrote another that cleans list headers. it's been
great being one of the early listserv users, but it means a couple
thousand lists and our headers have lots of junk, including an
ill-conceived (by your's truly) idea to including list termination dates
in the headers. So I give my script a long list of listnames, and it
cleans them all up. I have lots more ideas, including a script to change
the owner of a list(s). In short, I'm having too much fun with it (and
probably spending too much time).

One comment on compiling the unix version: on our local Solaris system,
the compiler command was
 cc lcmdx.c lcmdx.o -lnsl -lsocket

It took me awhile to figure out the options (compiler directives?) since
I'm not a C person. Your mileage may vary. Thankfully, the Win version
works out of the box, and I'm finding it reasonably easy to write the
scripts to run on either Windows or Unix.

So, don't give up on this!

On another note, I've written some scripts to check for invalid files in
the main directory, make sure notebook lines point the right places, that
archive directories are actually referenced by some list. I'm working on
other cross checks as I realize them. Listserv is really resilient and
tolerates a lot of junk, but I like to clean it up.

Great product.

-- Syracuse University Listserv List Manager
-- Listserv webpage: http://listserv.syr.edu
-- Web access to List Archives, Manuals, and List Management for Owners.