"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Mon, 6 Mar 89 14:09:02 GMT
I am sorry to report that I am getting the impression that my discussions with
EARN have entered a loop, out of which  I do not know when we will escape, and
how. I  seem to  have problems  conveying statements  like "I  do not  wish to
receive  money from  EARN in  exchange  for LISTSERV  maintenance, support  or
development".

Although I  have gone through  much more stressing  and also much  more boring
situations in my life, I am starting to  get seriously fed up with this one. I
want all this  nonsense to end, as soon  as possible, and to be  left alone by
EARN; I am willing  to sign papers with EARN, but I am  NOT willing to involve
any of my time in this "migration", EARN cannot seem to understand it, back to
square one.

I hoped it  would not have to come to  this, but I am afraid there  will be no
progress otherwise.

(1)  LISTSERV   support,  including  maintenance  and   development,  will  be
completely withdrawn from all EARN countries for an undefinite period of time,
starting  on June  the  1st of  1989,  and  regardless of  whether  or not  an
agreement  for the  provision of  support by  the EARN  organization has  been
reached by this date. This three-months advance warning fulfills the statement
of intent I had made to the EARN Executive.

(2) In the case  that an agreement can be reached  with the EARN organization,
support will be removed as soon as EARN has been able to contract the required
staff to take over the maintenance of LISTSERV for EARN countries, and, in any
case, no later than June the 1st of 1989.

(3) If no agreement has been reached by  May the 15th of 1989, plan #1 will be
enforced, inasmuch as it  can be without the cooperation of  EARN. Plan #1 is,
up to now,  the only plan that  guarantees complete freedom for  both EARN and
myself to  develop LISTSERV as  they see fit, and  thereby the only  plan that
guarantees EARN will leave me alone in the future.

(4) I  will not  participate in  any way in  the education  of the  EARN staff
mentioned in point 2.  I will not accept any money  from the EARN organization
for the maintenance, support and/or development of LISTSERV.

  Eric