"Michael R. Gettes" <GETTES@PUCC>
Thu, 19 Apr 90 15:58:03 EDT
On Thu, 19 Apr 90 10:33:02 EDT Linda Littleton said:

>I don't believe BITNIC even runs NETNEWS, so they're not in a position to be
>aware of the details, let alone coordinate them.  Also, this is not just a
>BITNET problem, as the LISTSERV groups are propogated to many sites that are
>not on BITNET.

WRONG! BITNIC *must* be informed so that when some joe on the network asks
them for "what do I do if..." and they say "gee, I don't know..." and
are therefore unable to respond with "You should speak to..." then
all this *will* get screwed up! There are many new sites coming on to
the network who have no clue to life in the networking world -- I know
because I have been bitten 4 times in the last year with AIX-L alone!
So, you at least have to let them no that in the area of newsgroups on
BITNET -- then they should speak to so and so at PSU.

>>Secondly, what  about the  other co-operating networks???  Will they  buy into
>>this scheme as well? How will they know to register with PSU?
>
>There is discussion on this going on it bit.admin and news.admin groups.  The
>people involved generally read at least news.admin.

Again, does *everyone* in EARN know about this? Does everyone in foonet
know this??? There need to be some formal announcements made regarding
this -- like maybe to all BITNET techreps and inforeps, this is why
BITNIC needs to be informed (or at least send out mail to all TECHREPS
and INFOREPS on your own). The network is not as well informed about
all this as you might think...

>The Netnews to mail gateway will be done by the same site that does the mail
>to Netnews gateway.  This will generally be psuvm.psu.edu, and some will be
>done by AUVM and YSUB and perhaps some others.  And yes, the Netnews code
>checks the message-id and does not send duplicates.  There would not be a
>problem with duplicates if ONE site is doing the gateway.  Problems would
>occur, though, if more than one site were gatewaying the same group, and this
>is why we want to set up the registration procedure.

I understand -- and this is why I am bringing up these other concerns...

/mrg