Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 Mar 1991 16:02:39 EST
On Fri, 22 Mar 91 11:38:13 SET Christian Reichetzeder said:
>I bring up this subject twice every year. Those who already know please excuse
>me ... but I'm really pissed.

 With good reason in my opinion...  But while I agree with you completely I
 fell compelled to add "good luck getting anything done about it".  For
 example, look at this lovely extract from the LISTSERV LISTS file.

'NIH-GUIDE'       NIHGUIDE@TCSVM    NIH Guide List (TCSVM)
                  NIHGGC-L@UBVM     NIH Grants and Contracts Distribution
'NIHDOC-L'        NIHDOC-L@LSUVM    NIH Guide List (LSUVM)
 NIH-L            NIH-L@WSUVM1      WSU OGRD NIH Redistribution List
 NIHGDE-L         NIHGDE-L@JHUVM    NIH Guide Primary Distribution
 NIHGUIDE         NIHGUIDE@UMAB     NIH Listing of Available Grants and C
                  NIHGUIDE@UWAVM    NIH Guide U of Washington Distributio

 Last time I checked all these lists were fed by NIHGDE-L@JHUVM!  And
 all of them are independent of each other (except that the JHUVM list
 feeds them).  There are several reasons why this situation evolved the
 way it did.  But even when I contacted the owners of the lists directly
 via e-mail, only one or two changed their lists to "non-global".  So
 good luck getting people to keep their local lists "non-global" on their
 own.  Those of you who are curious, just count the number of lists with
 the work "TEST" in the list name or description.  Some such entries
 should be there, but I count 51 at the moment...

>Christian

 -jj

 BTW -- But my favorites however are LISTA, LISTB, and LISTC with the
 descriptions "A-th List", "B-th List", and "C-th List" respectively.
 At least their unique, eh? :-)