Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Nov 1991 23:40:08 +0100
On Tue, 19 Nov 1991 17:18:33 EST Jim Jones <JIMJ@JHUVM> said:

> Right, I wasn't very clear on that point... I meant that you cannot use
> the  IPL'er name  in the  CMSNAME sysvar,  but rather  the name  of the
> actual CMS  DCSS. In our  case, the IPL'er is  called CMS and  the real
> thing is YCMS50  currently, so Listserv won't work with  CMSNAME set to
> CMS.  I  just put  all  the  normal  DEFINE  and LINK  statements  into
> Listserv's directory entry  and had it IPL YCMS50, but  as you said the
> real point  is the value coded  in the CMSNAME variable,  not what's in
> the directory.

I'm still not sure I understand. If you explicitly say 'CMSNAME = "CMS"',
LISTSERV will  happily 'IPL CMS PARM  AUTOCR' and it ought  to work fine,
assuming of course that the IPL'er can pass on PARM's, which it ought to.
If you don't say  anything and have LISTSERV fire up  the IPL'er from its
directory,  it will  IPL  CMS  the first  time,  causing  all LINK's  and
DEFINE's to be  done, and then the IPL'er will  IPL YCMS50. LISTSERV will
then 'IPL YCMS50  PARM AUTOCR' when rebooting, which also  ought to work.
The only problem comes when you alter  the IPL'er (say, to point the LINK
to another place); LISTSERV won't pick the new one when rebooting because
it IPL's YCMS50.

  Eric