Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 3 Sep 1994 01:50:48 +0200
On Fri, 2 Sep 1994 09:30:28 -0400 Windigo The Feral
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>[log in to unmask] (Philip Ryan) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know of any system that exists for people to set up mailing
>>lists from computer systems that can't be LISTSERVs themselves?
>
>There are  several options; if  you are using  a standard Unix  (such as
>SunOS or BSD) you can use a program such as Listprocessor or Majordomo

Neither  SunOS nor  BSDi are  "computer systems  that can't  be LISTSERVs
themselves". LISTSERV works on both, and  on 6 other brands of unix, plus
VMS and VM.

>As  for Vaxen,  I have  no idea.  I  have HEARD  there is  a version  of
>Listprocessor available for Vaxen,

ListProc does not run on VMS. LISTSERV does.

Anyway, to answer  the original question, LISTSERV was  designed from day
one for remote list maintenance. Thus, all  you need to do is find a site
willing to host your list. The best is to write up a short description of
the list,  its goal, the expected  membership and volume, and  post it to
LSTSRV-L. Someone will probably "sponsor" your list and you'll be able to
maintain it yourself.

  Eric