Alexander Couloumbis <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Jun 90 18:46:10 EDT
   Am  I  the  only  (Bitnet) list owner on this list or what? I
   have  to  admit  that  I  know  very little of mainframes and
   programing   and   I   was   hopping   to   see   some   good
   solutions/suggestions  to problems that Bitnet, Listserv, and
   list  owners  are  facing  every  day.  I  find  the  idea of
   Listserv  GREAT  for  Bitnet.  It  helps  to  do  E-mail much
   easier,  quicker and efficient. But why only LISTSERV? I mean
   why  do we expect our E-mail problems and traffic problems to
   be  solved  only  by  a better version of Listerv. My biggest
   problem  is  the  ERROR  rejections! This wonderful, friendly
   rejections  that tells you: Unable to connect to this machine
   for  3-5-9  days... I will continue for 2000 more days but in
   the  mean  time here is the included message 1500 lines (I am
   exaggerating  but I hope I make my point clear). So here goes
   my  first  question:  1. Why Error rejections have to include
   the  ORIGINAL  mail?  Isn't  responsibility  of the sender to
   make  sure that he keeps an archive of what he sends (just in
   case)?Wouldn't  cut  the network traffic at least 50% down if
   these  (1500)  lines  of  the original message were discarded
   from  the error rejections' body? And if we are talking about
   individuals  is an ok problem, but if we think about Listserv
   lists  with  400-500 active members, and 100 mails a day then
   the  rejections  can  boost  the  traffic  REALLY high. Which
   brings  me  to  my  next  question:  2. Listserv has to be SO
   smart  to look to all these different systems and try to make
   sense  of  what  is happening. Wouldn't be helpful if MAILERS
   or DAEMONS  or any other server that handles error rejections
   to  first look at the sender, and if it reads: HELLAS list or
   LSTSRV-L  list to generate a DELETE LISTNAME BAD@ADDRESS ? In
   addition to  this, Notifications can be also send to the List
   Owner  and  (Recipient).  Now  it  comes the question why the
   Error  rejection  occur?  If  it happened because the account
   was  closed then the above action is the best to be taken. If
   it  happened  because  the user's disk is full then the above
   action  is  also the best, because it will make the user more
   responsible  in  the  future (I hope). In any event the above
   questions/suggestions  were  generated  by  a  non experience
   person  on  System Maintenance. I am just a simple list owner
   and  my only problem is a 300 files om my reader every second
   week.  I  don't have the privilege to have a separate account
   for  the  error rejections, I don't have extra space to store
   all  these  rejections  until  I find time to deal with them,
   and  I DON'T use the magic key (delete) so easily :) But even
   if  I  had  some  of the above I don't think that it would be
   the  best  way  to  solve  the  problem.  Keeping the Network
   cleaner   will   make   things   much   easier,   quicker for
   communication and work. Finally, Harry Williams LISTDEL XEDIT
   program  is  useful but I still have to clean my spooler from
   the  300  error  rejections. I was forced to learn REXX :) in
   order  to  write  a  program,  which is under development, to
   delete  all  duplicate  error  rejections  and  keep only the
   single  ones  (meaning error rejections for different users).
   Further-more  this program will prepare a file with a list of
   DEL  LIST  BAD@ADDRESS  and after the Owner's approval can be
   send   to   Listserv   to   do   the   job.

Undergraduate / Audio Technology