Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 17:23:04 PDT
> Date:         Fri, 27 Sep 1996 17:45:48 EST
> Subject:      Re: Allowing posts from just one domain?
>
> On Fri, 27 Sep 1996 15:29:20 PDT Peter Rauch said:
> >> Date:         Fri, 27 Sep 1996 17:45:29 -0400
> >> From: David Nessl <[log in to unmask]>
> >>
> >> I have a group who wants to create lists to which only people (including
> >> non-subscribers) on campus (in the UFL.EDU domain) can post.
> >
> >You don't describe what their objective is. It is difficult to rationalize
> >any particular "solution" without being told _why_ non-subscribers should
> >be allowed to post. Most rationales wither under the light of day.
> >Maybe you don't have a problem?
>
> Peter... you don't really work at a university, do you?

For enough years to know there are lots of situations, like those
you describe below, for which there are other useful solutions that
SEND= PUBLIC. But, you seem not convinced that my question was serious,
and from experience, so I will just drop it here.

> >Well, let your advisors go tell the MD's and sec's that they're too
> >dumb to type "r" for reply, and "ok" for a confirmation message....
> >If your advisors don't want that task, then ignore them, they're not
> >committed enought to the idea.
>
> This may not be your field of expertise, but we are talking about reality
> here.  *grin*

It doesn't take expertise to know that MD's and secretaries have more
talent that your advisors wish to give them. And, if you are suggesting
that you can't say no to unreasonable advice from your advisors, then
you do live in another reality from mine. Sorry about that.
Peter