Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Oct 1993 20:41:32 +0100
On     Tue,    26     Oct    1993     09:47:03    EST     Linda    Feeney
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>        I did find a way to automate  a 'login' to each account and send
>the SIGNOFF * (NETWIDE command for users of VMS Mail.

You should  never do this,  not unless the  amount of delete  accounts is
small enough.  If you inject  (say) 5,000  netwide signoff jobs  into the
LISTSERV network, people are going  to start screaming about the resource
usage on  their system,  especially if  more than a  handful of  sites do
this. The  result is  that people  will modify the  code to  ignore these
requests, and I will have to remove the capability from the next version.

If  you are  running  MX V3.3  or  PMDF V4.2,  LISTSERV  will delete  the
recipients  automatically. Otherwise  the best  is to  wait for  the list
owners to delete the recipients on their  own. The cost to your system of
bouncing off  these messages is a  droplet in the ocean  when compared to
the  cost  of running  5000  jobs  with a  global  lookup  for 272  other
institutions.

  Eric