"Pete Weiss 2.0" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:45:53 -0500
At 10:20 3/21/2006 Tuesday, Michael DeGregory wrote:
>Hi Pete,
>
>I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean by the "LISTSERV DISTRIBUTE BACKBONE
>host is blocked".
>How does this get blocked? and how do we unblock it? The distribute jobs
>work fine however, the probes are failing.

OK, I missed the "probes" part.  Sri for the confusion.

I doubt that the LISTSERV DISTRIBUTE BACKBONE is used for probing.  [Though IF the L.D.B. is being used for the regular list mail, and the probes are not, that could be a problem with host's site LISTSERV mailer used when doing the probes to user's site that has blacklisted that IP address).

As far as the probes failing, I guess one would need to know more info ... maybe the target system doesn't like the RFC821 MAIL FROM semantic (and obfuscated RFC822 userid and listname, as I recall).

The LDB is a store n' forward LISTSERV-to-LISTSERV ("peer to peer") mail/merge/explode mechanism whose genesis was back in BitNet when bandwidth was at a premium and distributed CPUs cycles could be used to minimize that.

/Pete