Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Apr 90 11:51:56 O
For both political and technical reasons,  I have split the LSTSRV-L list
into two separate lists, one for  LISTSERV release 1.6 (which will remain
called  LSTSRV-L) and  one  for LISTEARN,  for which  I  have chosen  the
arbitrary name of  LSTERN-L (see below). The status of  the LSTSRV-L list
is now the following:

- As you can see,  the list title has been changed  to "Forum on LISTSERV
  release 1.6".

- The  EB0UB011,  DEARN,  CEARN,  FRULM11 and  FINHUTC  lists  have  been
  unpeered and  replaced with  dummy lists pointing  to the  new LSTSRV-L
  peer for Europe, [log in to unmask] This  will make list management easier
  while avoiding the dreaded  LISTSERV@CEARN bottleneck, ie postings will
  cross  the ocean  much faster  than they  used to.  The dummy  lists in
  question should  be deleted within  1 week -  their purpose is  just to
  allow mail  currently queued somewhere  in Europe and addressed  to the
  old peers to be delivered.

- SEARN  has the  full archives  for  the list,  or, at  least, what  the
  various HDA crashes  at CEARN have spared: I am  missing the LOG8809 to
  LOG8811 files.

As I said there are both  technical and political reasons for this split.
The technical  reasons is that I'm  tired of the confusion  introduced by
having  questions  and bug  reports  regarding  two different  pieces  of
software appear on the same list.  I spend time looking up problems which
have been solved  9 months ago, and whenever somebody  answers a question
from someone  having problems with  the "other" version of  the software,
the answers are  often inaccurate to some extent. For  instance, the list
of valid SET  options posted by Turgut applies to  LISTEARN only, and the
list of  keywords posted by Mark  is for LISTSERV release  1.6. Note that
this is not  a complaint against Turgut or anyone  else, just a statement
that such  confusion is unavoidable,  and will  only increase as  the two
pieces of software slowly evolve in different ways. Even on such a highly
technical  forum  as VMSHARE,  where  most  of  the audience  is  systems
programmers,  there  are  different  conference  files  for  the  various
versions of systems or application software.

The political reason is  that, as you may know, EARN  decided to call the
LSTSRV-L list  an "EARN Special Interest  Group" (as defined in  the EARN
document BOD31 89 - a group of people sharing the same interest, ran by a
chairman elected by the members,  and responsible for keeping the Network
Operation Group, the relevant EARN  Project Groups and the EARN Executive
Committee  informed of  the discussions  which are  taking place).  I had
complained  about  that  in  a  note to  EARNTECH  dated  19  june  1989,
suggesting that EARN should make their  own list (abiding by the rules of
BOD31 89)  for that  purpose and  stop calling  a public  forum comprised
mostly  of BITNET  people an  "EARN Special  Interest Group";  I got,  of
course, no answer. Meanwhile more  EARN papers were issued that mentioned
the "EARN  LSTSRV-L Special  Interest Group"  and, finally,  the glossies
that were  made for the  EARN'90 user  conference in Killarney  also list
LSTSRV-L as an "EARN Special Interest  Group", even though there is now a
"LISTEARN Special Interest Group" in the  list (which, as I learnt later,
corresponds to the  LISTTECH list). This gives the  reader the impression
that EARN "owns" LISTSERV, and I cannot tolerate that.

I have  therefore decided to create  a new "EARN Special  Interest Group"
for LISTEARN (for which  I will let EARN choose a  name and chairman, and
to  which I  will  not subscribe),  and  to remove  EARN  users from  the
LSTSRV-L  "EARN  Special   Interest  Group",  which  is   now  closed  to
subscriptions from  EARN users. Maintainers  of EARN servers  running 1.6
have been left on the list,  since this is where the information relevant
to the software they are using will appear. The list will be re-opened to
EARN  subscribers 1-2  months  after  EARN'90, when  all  the people  who
decided  to  subscribe  after  reading   the  glossies  and  hearing  the
presentations found  out that it is  not really an EARN  forum after all;
the  archives  have  been  left  public  so  that  people  who  need  the
information can get it, with a little extra bit of effort.

This note is being sent to all the people who were subscribed to LSTSRV-L
before the  split; as soon  as it is out,  I will delete  EARN recipients
from the list. A new list, LSTERN-L@SEARN, has been created using all the
EARN recipients of  LSTSRV-L from nodes not running release  1.6. I chose
this name and the SEARN machine because,  after asking EARN to make a new
list for that 1 month ago, I  haven't received any answer (apart from "we
will consider your  proposal to split the lists"). This  list is open for
anybody to subscribe or sign off, but since I do *not* want to host it on
this toy workstation (and I don't  think it would be appropriate anyway),
I have not created the associated dummy userid. This means that you can't
mail to it, but you can freely subscribe or signoff; I will send the list
of recipients to EARN when they create the final list.

  Eric