Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Dec 1992 19:24:24 +0100
On Wed, 16 Dec 1992 13:17:05 EST Jack Fairservice <JFAIRSER@VDH> said:

>Question 2. In using  ldbase, I was trying to use  "sounds like" to look
>for text in the body of the mail, but it appears that I can only look at
>the fields (ie subjects). I would like to say
>
>select * in LSTSRV where body sounds like somthing

If that  were possible,  I suspect  you'd hit something  like 75%  of the
items (because  when the reference string  contains a single word,  it is
iterated over all the words in the message - otherwise you'd get no hit).
Phonetic searches are only meaningful when done on small amounts of data.
An entire  mail message does  not sound like  anything at all,  there are
just  too many  words. Furthermore  it contains  so many  words that  the
probability that any of the words sounds like a one-word reference string
is pretty high.  This is pretty much like searching  very short sequences
of letters in the mail body.

  Eric