Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:30:56 -0600
Paul Russell at GOD's University wrote:
> A mailing list may have a related web page, but the list itself is
> not "on the web". The web is not the Internet, even though it may be
> the most highly visible portion of the Internet, and the increasing
> use of the term "the web" to refer to anything and everything on the
> Internet simply makes our job harder. Try working your site's Help
> Desk for a day, taking calls from users who report that they cannot
> read their email, open the spreadsheets they created yesterday, or
> reach their favorite web sites, when the real problem is that their
> computers won't boot, and you will understand why proper usage of
> technical terminology is essential for effective communication in a
> technical environment.

When I worked helpdesk here at Texas A&M (10 years), the #1 question at the
beginning of the semester was:

    Can you help me put The Internet on my computer?

Our standard smart-aleck reply was "I don't think it will fit" (not given
very often, btw).

Chris Barnes                              AOL IM:  CNBarnes
[log in to unmask]                      ICQ:     3581645
Computer Systems Manager
Department of Geography                    ph: 979-458-1539
Texas A&M University                      fax: 979-862-4487