Mon, 15 Jan 90 09:33:50 EET
> I agree with Michael about letting LISTSERV do the updates, however, if
> you have a reason for doing them offline, I suggest the following.
>
> Put BITEARN NODES on a disk belonging to someone else (In my case, It's one
> of my own) and give LISTSERV a read/only link.
>
> Update the files on the disk from the other id and then just do a
>
>      TELL LISTSERV STOP REBOOT
>
> And it's done.

  Thats simplest way.
Our site (FINTUVM) uses automagic machine to do that grunt work of updating
BITEARN NODES and also various MAILER/RSCS tables when new updates arrive.

That CMS machine is - of course - homebrew with ideas/prototype from FINHUTC.

We have public 'EARN' disk which is owned by that machine and LISTSERV has
a R/O link there (same way do MAILER and RSCS for their own disks.)

This machine is given Postmaster priviledges with 'Quiet:,Hide:' on LISTSERV
for issuing that 'STOP REBOOT' command, and is also our effective Postmaster
for MAILER.

  This way I can update any of configuration tables/public network utilities
without needing to offline anything.  All necessary reboot commands are issued
by that machine when it is proper moment.

> Harold

        /Matti Aarnio   <[log in to unmask]>