Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Feb 1993 19:28:20 +0100
So far I have received only three offers for testing the new code, two of
them from  people who said they  had a lot of  work this week and  whom I
didn't want to bother with extra work  (but thanks anyway! :-) ). This is
a  problem because  I  don't want  to release  1.7f  with two  DISTRIBUTE
processors and  a manual  procedure for swapping  back and  forth: that's
about 2000 lines of  unnecessary code to ship around, and  a lot of extra
confusion when bugs are reported. The last  thing I want is to waste time
looking for  bugs in code  which is  scheduled for imminent  deletion and
provided  only  as a  backup,  so  1.7f  will  ship with  one  DISTRIBUTE
processor and the PASCAL  code used by the old one  will be removed, both
to save code and to make sure I don't call the wrong routine accidentally
due to a typo.  The problem of course is that once I  do that it won't be
possible to switch back to the  old DISTRIBUTE without falling back to an
earlier level of LISTSERV, which would de-install support for list topics
which your users might have started  taking advantage of. So I would like
some  more  testing on  machines  other  than  SEARN  before I  do  that,
preferrably sites  with large  lists or with  users submitting  their own
DISTRIBUTE jobs manually. Any volunteer?

  Eric