Mignon Erixon-Stanford <IRMSS907@SIVM>
Sat, 21 Apr 90 12:45:56 EDT
From:    Mignon Erixon-Stanford

I agree this would be a valuable service, but implementation BITNET-wide
might be tricky since each site is configured differently.  We are
endeavoring to achieve this for our own site by using Charles Naul's new
TNT software.  Our hallucination is to have a pick off the main PROFS menu
which will take the user to another screen where 1 of the items will review
BITNET-wide discussion groups, then allow them to point to the name of the
list and either SUBSCRIBE or SIGNOFF.  The proper LISTSERV commands will
then be generated and sent off the the LISTSERV.
     A friendly interface like this will help tho administrative and
non-techie staff get acquinted with what's available over BITNET.  Obviously
the techs will be able to bypass the interface should they choose.  We're
still under development.
     We're using PUMP to resolve the PROFS non-RFC822 header problem.  If
anyone else has done something like this, we'd be real interested in hearing
about it.  Please respond to me directly . Thanks. Mignon.

                                 PROFS & LISTSERV Administrator
                                 IRMSS907@SIVM   (202) 357-4243
                                 "The only constant is change."