Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 10:59:07 -0400
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 08:27:57 +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Nilsson?= <[log in to unmask]>  said:

> I'm thinking about making our LISTSERV accessible over v6. We're on Solaris
> 8, so the OS part is a breeze; but I was wondering whether there are any
> gotchas with the web interface or the system otherwise. I am aware that the
> outbound relay part ($SMTP_FORWARD_1=) might interfere; but I'm prepared to
> use v4 for that.

It should work just fine if your MTA is IPv6-aware.  You correctly noted
that the actual injection from Listserv to the MTA will probably have to be IPv4,
but that's one connection over loopback usually so it doesn't matter. There's no
reason that subsequent outbound connections can't be IPv6.  All you need are:

- An IPv6-aware MTA (Sendmail works fine, postfix and qmail probably do)
- An IPv6-aware webserver (Apache 2.0 or later is good)
- An IPv6-aware SSH (how else do you get in to admin it? ;)
- Somebody to put quad-A records into the DNS.

If you're of the Microsoft persuasion, you're on your own, sorry.. ;)