Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 11:14:56 CDT
On Tue, 22 Aug 1995 13:15:58 PDT Sam Stoxen said:
>We came up with an unusual problem between SoftSwitch and LISTSERV. We set up a
>LISTSERV and added names to the list. The LISTSERV software sends out a
>'welcome
> message' from the LISTSERV that is from owner-LIST. When people on the list
>sen
>d mail to each other, the mail comes from owner-list. This does not appear to

   Since we have quite a few of Sam's users on our lists we've run into this
on mail from [log in to unmask]  Are there local options that might
be affecting this?  I have the local sysvars set to

LIST_ADDRESS = 'LISTNAME NJE'

for historical (hysterical?) reasons.  I'd like to change this to use LIST-ID
(if there is one) and FQDN but before I do that will that change this
behavior in any way (ie. the difference in "case" of the owner-LIST address
in the Welcome message(s) and the "case" of the owner-list address for
normal list name and/or digests (hmm - is the digest casing different
than individual items?).

   Since the local part of an Internet address must still be treated as
case sensitive I suspect SoftSwitch is erring in not being able to auto-
register them separately (probably because they only use upper case internally
or something silly like that - after all - they are the ones who said it was
technically impossible for them to have a "postmaster" address from the
Internet because it didn't fit there INTERNAL naming convention.  Not much
of a gateway...  (there, I feel better... ;-).  But if SSW considers them
equal why does it have to autoregister them anyway?  Why not use the
same entry?  It seems SSW is being inconsistent here too...

   Anyway, it would be great if there could be some consistency with
the address from LISTSERV and the list and even better if there is
some parameter I can code to do that!  ;-)

   marty  (still in a fog in Fargo)

Marty Hoag   [log in to unmask]            US Mail: NDSU ITS
ND Higher Education Computer Network                IACC Room 206
Phone: (701)-231-8639  Fax: (701)-231-8541          PO Box 5164
Bitnet: nu021172@NDSUVM1  (note 0=zero, 1=one)      Fargo, ND  58105