Phil Howard <PHIL@UIUCVMD>
Thu, 20 Nov 86 14:16:58 CST
$0.02

I think the DISTRIBUTE feature might have gone over better had it been
a separate program/server all its own instead of being just an "add-on"
to LISTSERV.

It will probably be easier to convince larger numbers of nodes to run the
DISTRIBUTE server if it is promoted as being a tool for reducing the network
redundancy of duplicate distributions.

DISTRIBUTE should really be a facility as wide spread as MAILER, and it
should be the basis on which LISTSERV networks.

The USER-DISTRIBUTE and DISTRIBUTE-DISTRIBUTE protocols should be made as
simple as possible, machine/vendor independent, and well documented to
facilitate development of versions for MVS, VMS, UNIX, and others.

To facilitate upward growth, these protocols should be designed with NJE
transfers AND TCP/IP connections in mind, so that it can operate over
TCP/IP and even whatever new networking protocols that the ISO people
come up with (if they ever let us know what they are).

That was my $0.02 worth, basis on the devalued US dollar.