Steve Middlebrook <C94882SM@WUVMD>
Wed, 16 Mar 88 13:21:21 CST
This query was originally posted to SERVERS list.  I figured there was a better
chance of getting an answer on this list, so I am posting it on LSTSRV-L.

>Help or explanation needed...
>
>Using LDBASE following search was initiated:
>
>SEARCH * IN MAILBOOK
>
>and this both on the LISTSERVers at EB0UB011 and DEARN.
>Both servers gave following response:
>Error: access control violation. Database access denied. Database removed ...
>
>To be sure that I was not doing things wrong, I tried
>SEARCH * IN SERVERS   on the BNANDP11 LISTSERV, and this worked as documented
>in LISTDB MEMO (Response from INFO DATABASE).

>So now I am wondering what goes wrong:
>- should one be allowed access first?
>- did I miss something in the manual?
>- or is it just bad luck (one of those beautifull bugs lurking around)?
>
>Thanks for your response,
>Greetings,
>
>Michel

I have played with LDBASE a little bit.  It is a very underutilized part of
LISTSERV.  I remember encountering similar problems which I corrected by
subscribing to the lists I couldn't search through. Are you subscribed to
MAILBOOK and is your subscription at one of those sites, or at another peer?

Depending on if the list has an open subscription policy, I'd bet that LISTSERV
limits access to subscribers.  For peered lists where not all the peers keep
notebooks, the notebook-keeping peer would need to check with the non-notebook
peers to see if you are an OK person to do a search.  I don't know if it does
do that.

Anyone have an answer?

stm