Mike Whitt <VMSP@NCSUVM>
Thu, 19 May 88 13:41:02 EST
I am starting a new list at NCSUVM for the discussion of an academic
electronic conferencing system. The list name is [log in to unmask]

Briefly, I will outline the direction we are curently taking:
1. The conferencing machines will look very much like LISTSERV,
   possibly with stripped-down code from  RELAY.
2. Conference membership will be by request to conference owner.
3. For every conference there will be a LISTSERV list and a conference
   virtual machine. E.g. PHYSICS-L and PHYSICS-C.
       PHYSICS-L would be the usual LISTSERV list.
       PHYSICS-C would be a virtual machine serving conference members.
4. Conference virtual machines would be peered/distributed in the
   same manner as LISTSERV peers. This will cut down on the traffic.
   There will be a separate conference virtual machine for each
   conference; this makes coding much easier than that done for
   multiple channel conference machines like RELAY.
   This also allows for conference specific environments.

The purpose of this list will be:
1. Discuss the above configuration.
2. Join the conferences.
3. Establish guidelines.
4. Identify node administrators.

A final note:
This list, and these conferencing machines are not intended to do away
with public RELAY's.  That is not my mission, nor is it my business what
other nodes want to do.  All the silliness, profanity, flaming, personal
type messaging that goes on on some relay's does not bother me at all.
My job is to manage three academic main-frames and provide support for
academic users. That is my intent.

Mike Whitt.  [log in to unmask]
VM Systems Programmer.
Computing Center