"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 14:11:00 EDT
On Thu, 7 Sep 1995 19:25:15 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>On Thu, 7 Sep 1995 11:31:35 CDT Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]> said:
>
>>1.  What is  a good  setting for  the number  of hops  allowed? I  think
>>    sendmail defaults to 17 these days.
>

>All in  all the problem  with SHORTHDR is that  the people who  wanted it
>killed here and  now were VERY vocal (many threatened  to stop paying for
>the software if this change wasn't made), whereas people who did not want
>the change hardly said anything. So,  we thought no one really minded the
>change, given the existence of "Default-Options=" and all that, and acted
>accordingly. If we'd known there were  many people opposed to the change,
>we could  have added  an option  to save the  "unspecified" state  of the
>header flag and all sorts of other  things, but now it's too late because
>the one-way conversion has been made.
I have to say that I wasn't vocal because I didn't realize that I
was going to be bit so heavily by the max hop count because of it.
I was in favor of adding the mime headers as Roger points out,
and beyond that I didn't care.  Since I'm getting LOTS and LOTS
of the hop count error, I now care.

>  Eric
/ahw