Hong Zhang <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Feb 1993 19:13:45 EST
On Fri, 12 Feb 1993 12:17:46 EST you said:
> This might be of general interest, so I'm posting here instead of sending
> e-mail back to Hong Zhang.  LISTSERV uses the file DOMAIN NAMES to decide
> what Bitnet/Internet gateway to use for each recipient of a mailing list
> posting.  Well, for completeness sake, the info in DOMAIN NAMES may be
> overridden by a local exit routine too, but if all your mail is going
> to an INTERBIT gateway then I don't thin that's happening.  Anyway, mail
> going to [log in to unmask] is routed to whatever gateway claims responsibility
> for domain name "xyz.edu" or to a default gateway if no match is found.
> So the answer is "change (or override) the copy of DOMAIN NAMES that
> your LISTSERV uses" if you need LISTSERV to use the local SMTP server.
> Having said that, let me state that I've always been of the opinion
> that if a site registers an entry in DOMAIN NAMES, then it should be
> honored.  That is, since someone at ALBANY.EDU (the first .EDU entry
> listed in DOMAIN NAMES) went to the trouble of registering their gateway,
I don't think that is the case on my side. I can send my either PROFS or
RICE mail to Internet directly from all userids. But my LISTSERV can ONLY send
mail through BITNET. No mater it is a Internet address. My question is that I
can set up LISTSERV send mail to Internet address directly or not and where I
can set up on my LISTSERV service machine. My mailer doesn't treat LISTSERV as
a special user. Why can't LISTSERV send mail to Internet address directly on
my node?

Thank you a lot for your response, John. Is there any other suggestions?