Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sun, 16 Nov 1986 22:19 SET
  So, release  1.5d is out as  three SHIPMNTx files.  I forgot to say  that the
first time you start your 1.5d server,  it will send mail to Harold, Jose Maria
and me about the release change so  that I can immediately update the tables. I
was getting a little tired of the  number of nodes whose release was uncertain.
:-)

  A very brief  description of the specifics of the  file server functions, for
which the memos have not been written  yet... For a general description of FACs
and suchlike you can still read the  Netserv docs since it's more or less simi-
lar.

  Each non-comment  entry in the filelist  defines a file. Generic  fileids are
not  (yet?) supported.  You can  additionally define  "flags" for  the file  by
inserting  them before  the actual  filelist entry,  enclosed between  / signs.
Example:

  LISTSERV  FILELIST   V    95  ....
/abcdef/  LISTSERV  FILELIST   V    95  ....

a is the  first flag byte, b the  second, etc. Flags which are  omitted take on
the default value. Note  that flags will not appear in the  filelist as sent to
users  -- filelists  are reformatted  before being  sent to  users. A  blank or
period will ALWAYS be accepted and means "default value".

Flag 1:  F -- indicated  a "true" filelist, ie  one which defines  other files.
               The filetype  of such a  file MUST  be "FILELIST". Files  with a
               filetype of FILELIST which come  from other servers, eg SILMARIL
               FILELIST, should NOT have this flag set.

         P -- Indicate the file is kept  in packed format (it is unpacked befo-
               re being sent out). Not a good  choice if you plan on linking to
               the disk...

         .  -- default: none of the above.

Flag 2:  N  -- No AFD should ever take place for the file.

         D  -- AFD  should  be delayed  until LSVXAFD  is  called from  WAKEUP.
               This is the default if byte 1  = F (filelists are supposed to be
               updated quite often)

         I  -- Immediate AFD. Default for all other files.

         .  -- means D if flag1 = F, I otherwise.

Flag 3:  N  -- No FUI should ever take place.
         D  -- Delated FUI, default for all files.
         I  -- Immediate FUI, not recommended.
         .  -- Same as D

Flag 4:  L -- Local  file. Should not be  redistributed to the  servers defined
               in Peers=.

         .  -- Global file, to be redistributed when PUT

  Defining a  FAC: FACs  which are  not hardcoded are  defined in  the filelist
header in  the "*+"  lines which  appear in  the first  bunch of  comments. For
efficiency reasons the search is ceased as soon as a blank line is encountered.
Format is:

*+ fac= userid@node comment
*+ fac= (listname) comment
*+ fac= Owner(listname) comment
*+ fac= * comment

"fac" is  the 3-letters  FAC (File Access  Code) name, eg  "LCB". As  many "*+"
entries as required  may appear, and they can  be of any of the  4 forms above.
The first  form is obvious. The  second means "people subscribed  to list xxx".
The third refers  to the owners of a  list, while the fourth is  just a comment
to be displayed  in the FAC definition  portion of the edited  filelist sent to
the user  when a GET  is done.  It doesn't define  anything. A password  may be
associated with the fac:

*+ fac= PW=password

This password is the one to be used  on a PUT operation for the file. If blank,
it defaults  to the user's  LISTSERV password, if any.  Note that this  form is
required for peer-filelists  since the file owner might not  have a password at
all the peer servers. It ensures that a common password is defined for the cor-
responding file  at all the servers.  Note that different passwords  would mean
that some of the servers would reject the command....

The peer servers are defined with the following keyword:

*+ Peers= node1,node2,node3,....

Several occurences of the keyword just  mean more peers. "*+ Peers= All" refers
to all the servers listed in PEERS NAMES. "Peers" must appear as I typed it, ie
it IS case sensitive due to the  stupidity of the EXECIO interface which cannot
be told to CASE U when a DISKR is being done (I used DISKR & FIND /*+ Peers=/).
The peers keyword does not appear on the filelist as obtained by a GET command.
Do you think it should? I'm open to suggestions.

People interested in  running a Netserv-cache system whereby  their local users
would gain  access to (some) Netserv  files via a  LINK to a public  disk main-
tained automatically by  LISTSERV should contact me -- I  am starting to slowly
write such  an interface to  LISTSERV... A sample exit  which does most  of the
job is  provided in "bypassed" form  (ie preceded with an  EXIT instruction) in
LSV$PUT  EXEC. This  would not  work for  NICSERVE of  course since  it doesn't
have an  automatic file  distribution concept --  everything is  done manually,
file storing as well as INDEX updating...

You've seen it,  there's a LISTSERV LISTS file defined  in INFO FILELIST. We'll
eventually have  a complete list  of lists  on which I'll  try to list  ALL the
known lists. I'll take the LISTSERV GROUPS from NICSERVE of course but since it
doesn't even  list all the lists  running on their LISTSERV  (TECH-L is missing
for example) I'll  need info from all of  you to complete the file.  If you are
main 'owner' of  a list which is  NOT listed in LISTSERV  GROUPS from NICSERVE,
please send me a description of the  list similar to the ones found on NICSERVE
-- please send  the names of  all the  peers, I will  not truncate them  as per
the REXX Word(userids,1) instruction...

  Eric

PS: I'll be quite  busy next week cause I will *eventually* have  a room on the
    FRECP11 dorms  ( :-) :-) :-)  ) and I'll  have to bring stuff  there... :-(
    I'll be  able to program even  more and still  sleep more than now  since I
    won't have 1h30  of train+metro+walk to get back home...  :-) Of course I'd
    be able to program outrageously more than  now and sleep even less but I'll
    try not to choose that option too often ;-)