David Sitman <A79@TAUNIVM>
Sun, 14 Jan 90 09:57:11 IST
Lately it has happened rather frequently that I have tried to sign off
a list, but have been refused because the 'Validate' parameter is set
to 'All commands'. I have always been rather sceptical about the need
for this parameter, but in the early years of Listserv I used to
encounter it only on rare occasions. The purpose of this parameter as
stated in LISTKEYW MEMO is:

     ...to protect you from UREP hackers who might issue a command
     "from" your userid@node to change the name under which you
     appear on the list to something impolite.

I think that every user has the right to unsubscribe from a list
whenever he/she wants. I have the following suggestions:

1. Sites should not give 'Validate= All commands' as part of the suite
   of list parameters which are presented to new list owners. Lists
   should be changed to 'Validate= Store only' (that's the default)
   unless there is a compelling reason for 'All commands'.

2. The parameter should be changed to disclude the SIGNOFF command from
   its effects.

Perhaps there are good reasons for this parameter which are unknown to me.
I would be eager to hear about them.

As far as I know, this parameter has not changed in version 1.6. Therefore,
this message applies to EARN and non-EARN sites alike.

David Sitman
Computation Center
Tel Aviv University