"Herbert A. Huston" <XRHAH@SCFVM>
Fri, 6 May 88 10:17:16 EDT
This is being sent on behalf of one of my list owners.  He wants to use
the ADDREQ1 mailform to send a form back to the potential subscriber to
be filled out and returned to him prior to addition of the subscriber.
He has circumvented concatenation and justification by placing his fields
one to a line with a blank line between each field.  Thanks in advance
for any assistance.

-- Herb

   I am the owner of a private, "by_owner" subscribed list.  I would
like to use a MAILFORM to send a copy of the subscription
form for our list, which would save us from having to mail it to
potential subscribers "manually".
   My problem is that LISTSERV concatenates and justifies all the records
in the form, making such text as:

      Name:                            BITNET id:
   Address:                            telephone:

   Professional Background:
       Academic Background:

come out like:

   Name:  BITNET id:  Address:  telephone:  Professional background:  Academic
Background:

   I have tried making all lines less than 70 characters, since the section
on $DEFAULT MAILFORM in LISTOWNR MEMO mentions that "lines in excess of 79
characters will be split, with the remainder inserted before the next line.
Also, any line longer than 70 characters will be justified."  Looks to me
like LISTSRERV justifies all lines regardless of length.
   Is there any way to tell LISTSERV, "leave $DEFAULT MAILFORM as is"?  Or
at least stop if from reformatting sections like those above?

-- Lee E. Brotzman
   Astronomical Data Center (NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center)