Brad Knowles <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 May 1997 16:23:39 -0400
Your message dated: Wed, 07 May 1997 21:51:10 +0200

> In the  interest of avoiding what  could otherwise turn into  a very long
> winded argument, could  you please post a  concise, TECHNICAL description
> of why  you feel  AOL needs to  reject messages with  a source  route, as
> opposed to ignoring the source route per RFC1123, and we will then have a
> technical discussion,  leaving angels and philosophers  to discuss things
> in their respective areas of competence?

    It's an operational issue of protecting the very existance of
the AOL mail system as a whole, and that's about all I can or will
say on the subject.

    Suffice it to say that source routed envelope addresses have
greatly outlived their usefulness, and it's long past time for them
to permanently go away.

--
Brad Knowles                                MIME/PGP: [log in to unmask]
    Senior Unix Administrator              <http://www.his.com/~brad/>