Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 20:32:17 EST
> The subscribers to this list are mostly Microsoft Mail users, and when they
> "reply" to a posting, the headers and text of the old message are placed
> at the bottom of their reply.  LISTSERV is objecting to finding the old
> headers in the body of the message:
>
> While I think it's wasted bandwidth not to edit out the old headers, it's
> inconvenient to do in MS mail, and the list owner swears that LISTSERV
> didn't reject these messages until recently.  Could anyone give me any idea
> as to why this is happening and what I could do to solve it?

This is not something new in LISTSERV, but there may have been a change
in the behavior of the gateway they use with Microsoft Mail.  Depending
on which gateway they are using, it probably allows control over whether
the mail headers are passed through with the message.  Some MS Mail
clients allow control over this as well (StripGatewayHeaders in MSMAIL.INI
with the Windows client).  But if headers are turned off, the ability to
track down problems is compromised and much useful information about the
message is lost.

Putting Loopcheck=NoBody in the list header turns off the checking for
headers in the mail body, but think carefully before you do that, as
you may end up with a mail loop.  Certainly don't do it if you use
Safe=No.