Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Nov 1991 22:05:55 +0100
On Tue, 19 Nov 1991 15:40:04 EST "Duane D. Weaver" <WEAVER@OHSTVMA> said:

>My comment:  I would like to  see Listserv not honor  Sender: records in
>determining the subscription address.

Then the  user would just modify  'From:' to have the  address he wanted,
and the result would  be the same. There is no  security in RFC822; there
used to be a  very limited amount of security in the  days of the 'BITNET
2' protocol (nothing to do with  VMNET, I'm talking VM mailer exits), but
BSMTP spelled  the end of  that. With recent  versions of Rice  MAIL, you
don't even have to know how to code BSMTP command sequences; all you need
to know  is how  to press  those funny  little keys  with arrows  on them
(which no self-respecting modern operating  system would ever want to use
for anything  other than sounding the  bell and printing 'D')  until that
stupid little horizontal bar that doesn't  even blink is on the line that
reads 'From:', and then type in the address you want.

  Eric