"Richard E. Lynch" <VM10CA@WVNVM>
Mon, 14 Mar 88 17:58:44 EST
I agree there is some kind of loop  going on and WVNVM seems to be right
in the middle of it or maybe the  cause of it. I have received over a 100
copies of a file called NETWORKS. How does one find out what is going on
and  why ?  Once a loop has been discovered how  does  one stop it  from
continuing ?  Here's  what I've done.  If it's not the right  thing to do
someone please tell me.

1) Shutdown LISTSERV AT WVNVM
2) Wait a while and then before re-starting LISTSERV purge all the
   NETWORKS files on LISTSERV's reader.
3) Purge all of the NETWORKS files on RSCS's reader.
4) After LISTSERV has processed its file queue repeat steps 1-3 until
   I finally get rid of all copies of the NETWORKS file that is looping.

There are some problems with this shotgun approach.

1) I may end up purging something I shouldn't have.
2) I have to keep a close eye on LISTSERVs file queue.
3) Our LISTSERV is part of the backbone and I don't really
   like leaving it out of the system.
4) How do I know when everything is OK and I can leave LISTSERV
   running as usual ?

   Any comments or suggestions ?

Rich
Everything is revealed to he who turns over enough stones.
(Including the snakes that he did not want to find.)