Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 May 1997 02:24:07 +0200
On Thu, 08 May 1997 19:30:38 -0400 Brad Knowles <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Your message dated: Thu, 08 May 1997 15:51:02 PDT
>
>> Now if only something could be done about the a.mx....
>
>    You mean pointing MX RRs at CNAME RRs?
>
>(...)
>
>    In the meanwhile, more and more sites are depending on pointing MXes
>at RRs, because that's  the only way they can list  a suitably small set
>of   MXes    for   their   domain   (along    the   recommendations   of
>draft-myers-mail-largesite-00.txt), while still making use of, and doing
>decent load balancing  across, their entire set of MXes.  In AOL's case,
>that's now almost sixty machines.

Well,  of course  you wouldn't  have this  problem to  begin with  if you
didn't  need  to have  sixty  machines  to  process  your 5M  daily  SMTP
transactions. Have  you seen  Rob Kolstad's  work on  multi-million daily
deliveries  on a  simple Pentium  with sendmail?  Clearly you  don't need
SIXTY machines when a handful of Pentiums can do it!

Sorry,  I couldn't  resist :-)  But setting  jokes aside,  the front  end
approach  I was  describing would  allow you  to cut  down the  number of
incoming mail  servers to 3-4 larger  boxes that don't fork()  every time
there  is  a new  connection  and  thus only  burn  a  minority of  their
resources on overhead, and your customers  wouldn't be cut off from sites
that do not use CNAMEd MXes. Of course I do realize that your position on
this is  probably that people whose  mail software cannot handle  MX to a
CNAME are out of  luck and evil and need to upgrade, but  what can I say,
like most little  mainframe boys I get  lost in the woods and  cry for my
Mommy  whenever my  users  have  a problem  that  impacts their  everyday
business and my boss orders me not  to solve it for them because they are
not important. Ironically the MTA I  am using does not handle CNAMEd MXes
and I lost  mail when you made  that change, however I was  able to solve
the problem  quickly by  source-routing (!)  AOL.COM through  another MTA
that does  handle this.  So if  my MTA had  followed RFC1123  and ignored
source routes as you advise, I would have been totally out of luck and my
everyday  business activity  would have  been impacted.  And AOL's,  to a
lesser extent, because they run one  of the largest LISTSERV sites in the
world and guess what, from time to time they badly want to be able to get
e-mail from me in the middle of the night, except it wouldn't have worked
and I  don't give my  home phone number  to customers, PERIOD  (I've been
there before, thank you  very much, in fact as a  double safety I connect
my phone to a modem when I am not using it, this way people can't call me
even if someone were  to inadvertently leak my number and  it ended up as
the primary 24h LISTSERV contact in a major site's operations room). FYI,
LISTSERV.AOL.COM  has a  total membership  of 1,379,405  (second only  to
CNET).

  Eric