Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:55:31 EST
On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:45:52 -0500 John Lyon said:
>> When a person receives feedback from the HELP command there is a section
>> called 'This server is managed by:' followed by a list of the LISTSERV
>> Postmasters.  The only address we wish to have under this heading is
>> [log in to unmask], which is the generic address for all LISTSERV
>> issues.  How can we hide the POSTMASTER addresses and have this one appear
>> unhidden but quiet.  In addition, how would this work if we already have
>> addresses that are hidden and quiet.
>
>You must have at least one non-hidden non-quiet postmaster. This can be a List
>address or routed so the mail is discarded. Then other postmasters can be
>hidden, quiet or both.

Frankly I would object to routing such mail to a black hole.  Some mail
coming to the non-quiet postmaster might be important, like someone
complaining about a mail loop or suchlike.  It's probably best to create
a generic address (LSTMAINT, for instance) and have someone tasked to
check that mailbox once a day or at least a couple of times a week if
nobody wants to be responsible for handling the mail in real time.

To simply trash mail coming in to the primary postmaster address just
strikes me as irresponsible.

Nathan