"Michael R. Gettes" <GETTES@PUCC>
Tue, 17 Apr 90 19:16:40 EDT
I would like to reply to this listserv/netnews proposal...

What concerns me here is simply the  history of BITNET. I think it is terrific
that PSU is willing to provide this  level of support to BITNET. However, does
CREN agree with the service that PSU  is providing??? I am asking this because
it is kind of necessary for BITNIC  to be aware of this implementation so they
can refer  questions accordingly. If  BITNIC does not  agree with what  PSU is
doing then lord knows  what will happen if someone asks  questions of the NIC.
Secondly, what  about the  other co-operating networks???  Will they  buy into
this scheme as well? How will they know to register with PSU? This is a *very*
large problem  and must be addressed.  I do not  want to go through  the AIX-L
mess again (quite a few people dropped themselves from the list because of the
unfortunate circumstances).

I wish  things weren't this  complicated. But, I  guess since nobody  ever did
anything about this in the past (and  it does not appear that anything will be
happening in the near  future in the way of divine  intervention) then I think
it is necessary for PSU to take matters  into its own hands and make sure that
BITNIC    is     aware    and    make    the     appropriate    contacts    in
EARN/NETNORTH/JPN/GULFNET/etc... to insure things work right around the world.

If PSU  approached this problem  in this light, then  I have no  objections to
attempting a  solution to this  problem. Otherwise, well, it's  a free-for-all
which is a real potential mess.

Has  there  been thought  to  moderating  the  list  via cs.psu.edu  and  have
cs.psu.edu do the message-id checking as it moves from netnews to mail???

/mrg