Christy Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 08:53:29 -0500
Thanks for the idea,
The only problem is that we have 500 active lists. The lists are used by
various groups on campus.  All the lists have different numbers of owners
and different owners.  We have used your trick before, and it is nifty.
The only thing is, to change the owners we have to send mail to the
listserv requesting the header, so we can then alter the header and put
it back.
  This can't be done from a web page. We can't wait around for mail
delivery of the header.

  We are looking for a utility, like for adding members, that will let us
add/remove owners as well.

  Thanks for the suggestion.

> On Mon, 30 Sep 1996 15:12:38 -0500 Christy Schaefer said:
> > I have a question concerning the LISTSERV product. The Computing Services
> > department at the University of Missouri - Rolla uses the L-Soft LISTSERV.
> > We have recently run into a few problems/questions.
> > We would like to automate some commands, however we can not find command
> > line utilities which allow this. In particular we would like to make
> > Adding or Removing List Owners a WWW application. However, the only way
> > we know to add or remove a list owner at this point is to get the header,
> > edit the header and put the header again. This is not a process that we
> > can automate on the WWW.
>

> IF you have a bunch of people acting as owners, you can do this nifty
> trick:
>
> 1) setup another list for the listowners
> 2) set the 1st list to have:
>    * owner= main person
>    * owner= Quiet:
>    * owner= (name-of-second-list)
>

> Your web page can add/del  owners by Add/Del the person as a subscription
> to the 2nd list!

> Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
> [log in to unmask]                        (409) 845-8300 (work)
> http://helper.tamu.edu/STAFF/cbarnes/
>
> "The Wizard of VM"  - The Battalion, Sept. 12, 1996

Christy Schaefer                               [log in to unmask]
UMR Computing Services                         phone: (573)341-4841
Scientific Programmer/Analyst                  http://www.umr.edu/~christy
                     "No more rhymes now, I mean it!"
                        " Anybody want a peanut? "
                           -The Princess Bride