Mark_Strawcutter <MJSTRAW@IUP>
Wed, 28 Mar 90 20:35:00 EST
>I just got the following in my mailbox. The strange thing is that
>it is (according to the mail program on our system) from "Listserv".
>Normally, mail sent to a list is from "listname".
>
>I can't see this being a problem with our mail program, nor our
>mailer softare. It does concern me though, because I don't want
>our users replying to this type of mail with our answer command.
>
>My question is: Is this a problem that should be resolved locallly
>(ie here at CMR001), or it is the result of something another
>node is doing, or is it a problem with listserv (unlikely)?
>
>Below is a copy of the message, the lines starting with >> are
>generated by our mail program, and the Received: by our mailer.
>The rest is standard net mail stuff.
>
>Thanx for your time,
>
>Michael Brown
>
>>> Sent: 03/28/90 17:27  Rcvd: 03/28/90 17:27  Number: 54
>>>   To: Michael Brown                           From: [log in to unmask]
>>> Subject: <>

>>Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 08:21:21 EST
>>From: U93_KTUKOVIN@SITVXB  (Admiral Tikmok --- addressing you from VAX)
>>To: pcserv-l@rpiecs
>>Subject: RE: Locking the list?
>>

>>Are we going to screen out only novice computer command or are
>>to screen out both computer command and questions?
>>
>>------------

Kinda nice to see another CP6 user.  I don't know whose CP6 BitNet software
you're running, but they all share a somewhat common acestery so it probably
behaves like ours in this case.

The clue is the blank line between the 'Received:' header (added by your
mailer) and the other 822 headers.  This means what came in to you started
with a blank line.  You mailer sez "I'll look at everything in the body
until a blank line and see if it's an 822 header".  Since the first line
is blank, no 822 headers were found.  The CP6 MAIL Subject: header is
made 'null' (our software leaves it blank, yours must do <>).  For the
CP6 MAIL From: header he uses the from info in the transport envelope
(SMTP or RSCS as available).  Apparently the originator (sender, whatever)
in the envelope was [log in to unmask]

Question remains - how did that blank line get in there?  Perhaps from the
guy who sent it in the first place and not LISTSERV.

Mark