"Gartner, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:20:58 -0400
Thanks Valdis -- I thought that it might have been something to do with

where the error codes were appearing.

Thanks,

Jim

-----Original Message-----

From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum

[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Valdis Kletnieks

Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 4:19 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: BOUNCE vs. SOFTBOUNCE??

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:08:15 EDT, "Gartner, James" said:

> The unknown user errors are strange:

> SOFTBOUNCE [log in to unmask] 5.0.0 550 5.1.1 <[log in to unmask]>... User

> unknown

> SOFTBOUNCE [log in to unmask] 5.0.0 550 5.1.1 <[log in to unmask]>... User unknown

The 5.0.0 is an "unspecified" error, and Listserv is probably erring on

the side of caution - if the box at the other end is confused regarding

the nature of the error, it may well decide there isn't an error when

you retry. ;)

> BOUNCE [log in to unmask] 5.1.1 Mailer mail02.COLOHFA.ORG said: "550

> 5.1.1 User unknown"

RFC3463 is pretty specific about 5.1.1 however:

      X.1.1   Bad destination mailbox address

         The mailbox specified in the address does not exist.  For

         Internet mail names, this means the address portion to the left

         of the "@" sign is invalid.  This code is only useful for

         permanent failures.

(Note that your 2 softbounces contain 5.1.1, but in a *later* field.

It's the 5.0.0 that matters....)

The information contained in this e-mail message, and any

attachment thereto, is confidential and may not be disclosed

without our express permission. If you are not the intended

recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this

message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you

have received this message in error and that any review,

dissemination, distribution or copying of this message, or any

attachment thereto, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. If

you have received this message in error, please immediately notify

us by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the message and all of

its attachments. Thank you. Every effort is made to keep our

network free from viruses. You should, however, review this e-mail

message, as well as any attachment thereto, for viruses. We take no

responsibility and have no liability for any computer virus which

may be transferred via this e-mail message.