Liam Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 13:11:30 -0500
> The sales representative said that 14.4 can run on the same box as any SMTP
> server, but the LISTSERV documentation specifically states this is not true.

It's true that LISTSERV needs dedicated port 25 access to one IP address
on the server.  If you can configure an outbound SMTP server to run on a
non-standard port or on a single IP on the server, you can run it on the
same server as LISTSERV.  (Alternately, you could configure LISTSERV to
listen on a non-standard port, assuming your SMTP server knows how to
route SMTP mail to that port.)  The documentation is correct in the
simplest (most common) case, but there are work-arounds for most
products.

As an example, see the L-Soft whitepaper on configuring LISTSERV and IIS
SMTP to run on the same server:

http://www.lsoft.com/resources/wp-iis-smtp.pdf

We've also been successful in setting up LISTSERV to co-exist with
Exchange server by adding a second internal IP address to the server and
binding Exchange to the external IP and LISTSERV to the internal one, and
then configuring an Exchange connector to route mail to the internal
LISTSERV IP via a dedicated FQDN.  A bit more complicated, but possible.
You could do the same in principle for any SMTP server that can be
configured to listen on a single IP address and can route mail to a
specific IP based on its FQDN.  (This of course requires separate FQDNs
for LISTSERV and the Exchange server, although they may point to the same
external IP address.)

--
Liam Kelly
Senior Consulting Analyst

Interested in other L-Soft products?  See what else we have
to offer here <http://www.lsoft.com/products/products.asp>