David Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 22 May 2005 10:23:21 -0400
On 5/22/05, Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> At 09:45 5/22/2005 Sunday, Karl Signell wrote:
> >Before upgrading to version 14.3, we would get two or three error messages a day from LISTSERV.  After upgrading, we're getting hundreds a day, sometimes more than 100 to a single listowner.  A large number are bounces from AOL for spam forwarded for approval to a local listowner with an AOL address (see below).
>
> I have only recently found that AOL is doing content filtering on single URLs in the body of text, even when the URL references an AOL member's page.
>
> I had to "split" the URL to send to another AOL subscriber.
>
> Maybe AOLers should switch to a more accurate email delivery system?

AOL is the bane of our existence right now.  They're filtering
content, and are very, very aggressive.  They'll frequently bounce
messages that have links to members of tripod.

Our other particular problem is (I'm getting over my head here) that
our ISP obtained a 're-delegated' block of domain addresses, and we're
don't (yet) have a PTR record.  AOL is doing a reverse look up on the
sender IP address, and bouncing on the lack of PTR record.  We do know
about it, and we're working with our ISP to get things fixed, but in
the meantime, we're probably missing reasonable error messages in the
flood of AOL messages.

But AOL is the 800 lb gorilla in the ISP arena.

--
David Phillips
Molon Labe !