Peter Jones <MAINT@UQAM>
Thu, 1 Mar 90 16:56:22 EST
On Thu, 1 Mar 90 01:15:00 EST SURAJ-THE SUN said:
>I just wanted to know if there was any way to find out which lists one is
>subscribed to. I am currently subscribed to avout 20 lists and since some of
>them are quite silent, I would like to keep  a list of what I am subscribed
>to. Espcially since I will be away from my college for a few weeks, before
>issuing a signoff * command, I would like to know which lists I am subscribed
>to so that I can resubscribe to them.
>
>Suraj

When I subscribe, I hang on to the greeting file that LISTSERV sends in
for new subscribers in a NOTEBOOK. Then, LISTFILE * NOTEBOOK tells me what
I'm subscribed to.

In the week preceding a trip away, I like to

(TELL LISTSERV AT list-node) SET listname NOMAIL

as items come in. On my return, I can set the MAIL option back on. For less
active lists, the QUERY command will tell you if MAIL is set or not.

If your userid is closed out, it is important to do a SIGNOFF * (NETWIDE .

As far as I know, there is no central place that would allow you or anyone
else to know which lists you are subscribed to. The information is in fact
kept at each LISTSERV, not at your site, just as paper magazine subscription
lists are kept by each publisher. If you want a list which magazines you are
subscribed to, that's your responsibility.

Peter Jones     MAINT@UQAM     (514)-987-3542
"Life's too short to try and fill up every minute of it" :-)