robyn sabourin <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 May 2002 13:58:13 -0400
Hi, I'd think that if you explain to the users why you are changing
their subscriptions they will not be offended.  This is different from
adding them without their consent to a brand new list which is really
unacceptable.  I would send a very brief message to the whole list that
is being broken up saying what and why and saying that they would get
another message to indicate where their subscription was being moved to.
I would also mention that they shouldn't hesitate to let me know if they
did not find this acceptable and did not wish to be resubscribed.
Basically, it is like renaming a list with a smaller population.

I'd set all of the old list to nomail but leave everyone there.  The
only subscriber I'd have getting mail to the old list would be me and I
would be able to explain that I was redirecting their mail to their new
list and that's where it should go in future. Depending on the traffic
to the list I'd offer this manual redirection stuff for a couple of days
or perhaps a week or 2.

While users don't like changes they may also appreciate the lower
traffic that results from the division.

Good luck,
robyn

Date:    Wed, 8 May 2002 11:18:25 -0700
From:    "Ahern, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Experience with splitting a large list? Seeking advice,
anecdotes, netiquette, etc. (long, sorry)

What I am interested to know is if any of you have experience with =
attempting such a thing, and if so, how did you approach it? What are =
the pitfalls? Benefits? Philosophical pros and cons?

I will include here some snippets from the people who are interested in
= pushing for this change. I am eager for any feedback whatsoever.

I am concerned about:
a) forcibly migrating people to new lists without their consent. I see =
this as invasive, rude, presumptuous, and technically a gamble, as I =
have ample experience with the sensitivity Listserv has to the =
subscription address being exactly the poster's address. Fortunately, =
the calls for this are few.

b) losing momentum on a well-established (yet admittedly noisy) list