Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:30:04 -0500
On Nov 24, 2006, at 9:26 AM, Stan Horwitz wrote:
> I don't know, but can't you configure your anti-virus server to
> simply not send messages with a particular score to your Listserv?

If it were only that simple...

If your LISTSERV is a backbone server if gets all sorts of things
sent to it directly from other LISTSERV sites.  These things are
encoded in ways that anti-virus servers can't handle, or since they
are coming through LISTSERV rather than via SMTP in some cases, the
anti-virus servers never even will see them.  I worked at such a site
and we used to get literally thousands of spamy messages in a week.
Sometimes thousands in a single DAY.

The good news is LISTSERV does have an exit which allows you to pass
messages to another program for spam determination.  Not all anti-
spam engines let you take advantage of this however.

Bill